Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Best!

If you've ever met me, I've probably bullied you about watching "The Wire," perhaps the best show on television. Ever. Fuck probably. It's the best show it's ever been my privilege to watch.

The Sopranos? I admit that I only watched the first three seasons, and there were some brilliant episodes. But it couldn't begin to approach the scope of The Wire.

The West Wing? Brilliantly written dialog, and some terrific episodes. But ultimately, it was episodic television with some interesting story arcs. The Wire didn't have quite the same level of dialog, but kicks ass in the characterization and story arcs. You couldn't expect an episode to end having wrapped something important up. It was a 10+ hour story. Maybe a 60 hour one.

On the surface it seems like a cops vs. gangs show. But really, it's about the drug trade and the city of Baltimore. Fascinating. The story of the city is a tragedy, but the story of the show is a triumph. The ratings were never high, like The Sopranos, but it was critically acclaimed and a growing audience.

P never watched it, and I've had fun seeing it all over again with her. We're in the middle of season 3. But at the same time, I've been watching Season 5 as it's been broadcast. And today, I watched the series finale. Yes, the final season is done. My TiVo recorded it on Sunday, but I didn't want it to be over.

I admit it, I was tearing up at the end. And I didn't even feel the need to do any push-ups after. They were very manly tears.

If you're a Wire rookie, Netflix the first disk of the first season, set aside 3 hours or so to watch the first three episodes straight through. There's a "hook" point somewhere in there. Probably the "fuck" scene. No, not a sex scene, a crime-solving scene. But some language and dead body nudity:



As long as I'm posting my favorite scenes:

"I robs drug dealers."
"Day at a time, I suppose."



Snoop buys a nail gun.



Weebay and Stinkum execute their plan to kill Scar.
"Ayo! Lesson here, 'bay..."
By the way, that tune is "The Farmer in the Dale"



For you "Airplane!" fans, here's State Senator Clay Davis in a scene I'll call "Major crimes? Golly!"



Also, the desk shot:



Oh man, I could go on for ever.

Best. Fucking. Show. Ever.

5 comments:

  1. Okay. So me and Jaime just got our first subscription to Netflix. And we just watched the first 3 hours of the wire (between our anime fix).

    I admit. I was very impressed. Here's to many more good episodes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and I just added you to my google reader. You bastard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elise's busy season schedule:

    5:30 am - 9:30 pm: Work

    9:30 pm - 10:30 pm: Watch an episode of the wire

    10:30 pm - 5:00 am: Sleep

    Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dude, I'm hooked now because of your promotion of the Wire. Thanks, I'm enjoying it. Hard-core, my kind of entertainment and way to contemplate some more

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh indeed.

    love the wire. it's just brilliant. so visually beautiful, too. it's good to see television done with so much intelligence and artistry.

    ReplyDelete