Monday, October 8, 2007

Jack and Jill

The first Saturday night of every month is a swing dance night at Atomic. I was running late after doing Symposium with EVH, but just made the registration for the Jack and Jill contests. The catagories were Lindy, Charleston, Balboa, Fast Lindy, and Showcase (10 minutes prep). My fear of solos is related to my fear of contests, so I only signed up for the Lindy division.

Shocking realization: Since I started in March, I'm outside the "first six months" time frame! In fact, October is the eighth months I'll have been dancing in. Yikes.

My partner was Michelle M, who I've danced with a lot. In fact, we kind of started in the same time frame. We have a great connection and she kind of knows my moves already. The song was "Rip It Up" (Bill Haley), which on my computer is 205 beats per minute. Definitely a fast song. In fact, I think the Fast Lindy song was slower! There's a team routine to the song, but I don't know it at all...

We ended up tie'ing for the win with Alan and his partner (Alana?). Woo hoo!

It was a great low-pressure contest. No fees, no cash prizes. Lots of fun. Wished I'd enter more of them. The guy who won the Balboa contest (Jacob?) was really smooth. Cool to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment