Friday, March 16, 2007

Food

John Remy asked about interconnectivity and where things come from. This has been on my mind for a while, but specifically about food since reading The Omnivore's Dilemma. So I made a trip to Heavenly Acre, a suburban micro-farm on 1 acre in La Habra heights. The main attraction are their eggs (20 dozen per week, according to their brochure) at $3.50/dozen. I buy a dozen eggs, some grapefruit, macadamia nuts, and passionfruit. I admit to driving straight home and having a fried egg. Lovely!

Nancy tells me that they can't really let the hens roam free because of coyotes, but they bring the garden weeds for the chickens to munch on, and supplement with organic feed. I've always wondered about the predation issue when reading about Polyface Farm.

By the way, that's not a color error. I really did get a green egg. Please no hackish Dr. Seuss jokes, please.



Book Mentions:
The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a very cool link (the website that lists the Heavenly Acre). I found a farm or two in my neck of the woods as well. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, localharvest is a pretty cool idea.

    ReplyDelete