Sunday, May 20, 2007

Kongar-ol Ondar

When I was 15, I saw Nova's "Last Journey of a Genius," a movie which discussed Nobel prize winning physicist Richard Feynman's attempt to visit what had once been the country of Tuva. Years later, my Tivo's "Tuva" wishlist picked up Paul Pena's journey as documented in Genghis Blues. Can you believe that in that same year, Kongar-ol Ondar appeared on Letterman?! If you've never heard Tuvan throat singing, well, it's mind blowing:



You can actually get the two songs he's singing there on iTunes, off the Genghis Blues soundtrack:
Alash Hem (The Alash River)
Eki A'ttar (Good Horses)
or perhaps
Ondarnyng Ayany (Medley in the style of Ondar)

Paul Pena and Kongar-ol Ondar doing an edited down version of Ondarnyng Ayany in Genghis Blues:




Excuse me, I've got something in my eye!

1 comment:

  1. hey, we are ondar's tuvan proteges and we are touring the us...come to one of our concerts man, thanks for enjoying the music of Tuva!
    www.alashensemble.com

    ALASH

    ReplyDelete