Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Damn Right It Was A Good Day

Saturday didn't start out well, as I flaked on a 7am ride with EB.

EB: I just got here.
Me: I'm lying flat on my back in bed. I suck.


I dragged myself over to the 8:30am spin class at 24 Hour Fitness. I don't think I'd taken a class from the instructor, Cindea, before, but she was very good. Well, I might have low standards when it comes to spin instructors. If they're on-time, have an organized music playlist, and can pedal to the cadence the music is setting for the times when I'm not feeling it, I'm happy. Cindea managed to do all those things, and I walked out with my butt happily kicked.

My knee was a bit cranky afterwards, but seemed to be pain free 48 hour later. Still fighting that January 1 injury. Damn.

Made it up to LA for lunch with SL. Breathtakingly beautiful day which we were able to enjoy outside. Though we chatted the entire time, my dominant memory is basking in the warm sun with a friend. Well, that and the chicken salad with a hint of curry. And the salad dressing. Yummy!

Evening with SS and pals for her birthday bash. Always fun to meet cool new people. SS told me there'd be some poker played ahead of time. It ended up being NL Texas Hold'em with one of the players being a dealer at the Bike. And he schooled us, gracefully. I have no no-limit skills to speak of, and Wikipedia wasn't actually a help in this case. Nor was listening to Kenny Rogers "The Gambler" on repeat on the way over.

We should have played limit poker, since you can't bust out as quickly. I was bad at counting the pot, bad at counting my outs, bad at essentially every skill except hand selection, at which I merely middling. Bleh. Table was fairly loose, with very little pre-flop aggression. I should probably go visit the Bike with The Falcon, as he's suggested a couple times. In fact, I should see The Falcon again. Does that guy even check his email?

Rolled out pretty late, but felt like I connected well with the group. Glad for the invite. And would I be able to make 9am "Intro to Quakerism" on Sunday?

No comments:

Post a Comment