Monday, February 5, 2007

Just Gotta Cut Loose!

John Remy issued a Wednesday challenge to do something outside of one's comfort zone, and I've decided to accept an invitation to go dancing as a result. Well, that's not quite fair, as I tend to accept invitations to do things I think might be fun but which are outside my comfort zone without John Remy around to challenge me to do it. Off the top of my head, cycling was one of those, though I think I originally intended to go mountain biking with my Tidrick buddies. I recently agreed to go on a blind date. Attending Quaker meeting was definitely intimidating the first time, as was volunteering to teach First Day School (Quaker jargon for Sunday School). Well, JR was involved in at least one of those, but I stick my tongue out at anyone who points that out.

Recently, I got to do some serious practice in anticipation of the night-of-dancing. For those dance-phobic readers out there, let me assure you that I was incredibly intimidated, but had a blast. We went over frame, basic footwork, some simple turns, and a discussion of how practice will help me develop muscle memory. Managed to locate this video lesson on youtube, which covers almost everything we did in 2 hours in 2 minutes. Plus some stuff we didn't. I noticed that on this video, the instructors are moving their feet a lot more than I was during practice. Meaning, they're picking their feet up higher and are more exaggerated in their stepping. No idea whether that's a stylistic thing or just something that happens as one gets more advanced. This might be the discovery of something really fun.

Chatted briefly with AP about swing dancing last night. He confirmed that the women outnumber men at swing clubs, and that men outnumber women at salsa clubs. -1 Salsa, +1 Swing. I did my time at Caltech, thank you very much.

Now I need to go practice that footwork.

[EDIT]
I just wanted to add that there adults in the small town in which "Footloose" occurred were on to something. Dancing involves sharing personal space, touching, stroking, holding, and a semi-embrace. There's definitely an air of romantic tension which surrounds the entire activity. I can see why parents would fear their kids taking part in it!

2 comments:

  1. You will never defeat Mecha-John Lithgow.

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looked back at the poster and realized how bad it was. "They said he'd never win. He knew he had to." That's just bad writing.

    [U-Turn]How come Kenny Loggins don't make no more records?[/U-Turn]

    By the way, contrast John Lithgow in that movie with John Lithgow in "3rd Rock From The Sun." Wow.

    ReplyDelete