Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Thoughts on the Beach Boys

Yes, my iTunes track-ranking project has brought me to The Beach Boys Platinum Collection. That's somewhere around 60 Beach Boys tracks, which isn't a bad thing. Why haven't I listened to this before?

But a few things I've noticed:

I've heard the song so many times, but never realized the lyric was

Bar-bar-bar, Bar-barbara Ann, Bar-bar-bar, Bar-barbara Ann

Yes, I know that's the title of the song, but I didn't know that either. I have no idea what I thought they were singing. I guess I just thought it was some random Beach Boys scatting.

Secondly, there's the middle verse of Get Around:

We always take my car cause its never been beat
And weve never missed yet with the girls we meet

None of the guys go steady cause it wouldnt be right
To leave their best girl home now on saturday night

Did I hear that correctly? The song's actually about driving around and having sex with random women?

And lastly, look at the first line of that last lyric and this one together:

I get around
Get around round round I get around
From town to town
Get around round round I get around
Im a real cool head
Get around round round I get around
Im makin real good bread
Get around round round I get around
I get around


I know that rap and hip-hop borrow liberally from other musical styles, but the "My car is awesome, and by the way, I'm really rich," pattern dates back to the Beach Boys? Or earlier? Was Jimmy cracking corn liquor, gin, and juice? Did Wagner have spinners on his carriage?

[EDIT]
Tell me tell me mama
Will you go with me back to Sumahama
Are you kidding me?!

4 comments:

  1. If I'm remembering correctly, "Fun, Fun, Fun" sparked quite the controversy from morally-panicing America.

    Hooligans joyriding?! What's next, sexy dancing?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, what's the world coming to? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "If I'm remembering correctly"??? Like I was there in the 1920's or whenever them Ye Olde Beache Boyse were around...

    I meant to say "when I watched the made for tv Beach Boys movie on VH1..."

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally made that joke, then decided not to publish it.

    ReplyDelete