Thursday, February 8, 2007

iTunes Zeitgeist Update 2

Original post on my quest to rank my music collection, along with the first update. And now, a huge milestone: I finished ranking all the music:

Total Songs: 3866
Unrated00%
Rated3866100%
5-star142
4%
4-star51913%
3-star119031%
2-star198451%
1-star311%

Key:
1-star: Track is broken, incomplete, contains pops, or should otherwise be seriously considered for removal due to a flaw
2-star: I don't want to hear this song during random rotations
3-star: I don't mind hearing this song
4-star: Very good song
5-star: One of my favorite songs

In my cursory searches for this information in other people's libraries, I've yet to find anything. No, that's not quite right, I've found out that my blog is the top response to "iTunes Zeitgeist!"

Ok, so looking through my 5-star songs, what groups show up with more than one track?

Air - 3 tracks
Beastie Boys - 5 tracks
Eva Cassidy - 2 tracks
Eric Clapton - 2
Kelly Clarkson - 2
Coldplay - 2
Creedence Clearwater Revival - 2
Depeche Mode - 4 (sentimental much?)
Marvin Gaye - 3
Jimi Hendrix - 6
Lauryn Hill - 3
Jimmy Eat World - 3
Norah Jones - 2
Linkin Park - 8
Nine Inch Nails - 4
Nirvana - 3
Pearl Jam - 4
Rage Against The Machine - 3
The Shins - 2
Sigur Ros - 2
Simon & Garfunkel - 3 (but really 2)
Smashing Pumpkins - 2
Steve Miller Band - 2
Tool - 2
U2 - 8

There you go. As good a list as any to give people when they ask what kind of music I listen to. Maybe it should be 4 and 5 star tracks, but that's a longer list than I feel like building manually. Shouldn't there be an easier way to answer these kinds of questions?

Well, if one goes by number of 4 and 5 star tracks in my iTunes library, my favorite bands are:
U2 - 40 tracks
Linkin Park 25
Beastie Boys 24
Depeche Mode 22
Weezer 20
Nirvana 17
The Cure 16

To be honest about it, though, I'm not sure I'd choose to listen to that much Depeche Mode today. Well, I take that back. I listened to the songs and ranked them by how I liked them today. We'll see if this lasts past the "listening to a smart playlist" stage. Oh that's right: What does this all mean? Well, there are all kinds of Smart Playlist ideas which require your music to be rated. So now I'm going to be trying them out.

Also, my informal ban on importing new music is over. Looking forward to checking out Sigur Ros's Takk, Stina Nordenstam's The World Is Saved, Z-Ro's I'm Still Livin, Charlotte Gainsburg, K.T. Tunstall, and the Teddybears. Darn, I just saw the Village Voice's survey of best albums of 2006 too. Maybe go back and check the best of 2006 lists from the last 60 days? Any other suggestions out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment