Monday, January 22, 2007

Do You Speak American?

A while back, I watched Robert MacNeil's "Do You Speak American?" I've always been fascinated by regional accents, and have a serious problem with accent-drift (if I think you sound interesting, I'll start speaking like you).

With that in mind, I recently took the following accent quiz. Very funny result. I've lived since 1985 in Southern California, but spent 4 years each in Cleveland and upstate New York. My Cali accent is probably an overlay of my base speaking pattern. To much thought about the result of an on-line quiz?

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Northeast

Philadelphia

The South

The Midland

North Central

The West

Boston

What American accent do you have?
Quiz Created on GoToQuiz

2 comments:

  1. I've taken this quiz before, and it defines my speech patterns as "Midland." I have lived in Southern California for the better part of my time here on Earth, and yet apparently I have modeled my speech after the linguistic patterns of Kansas, or else my speech has been too much influenced by the accents of people on the nightly news, which I do not watch.

    I defy this quiz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever someone calls soda "pop," I have to stifle an urge to pop them in the nose. Well, not really, but I do feel a twinge of annoyance. Irregardless. Orientate. Pop. Words that annoy me.

    ReplyDelete