Friday, January 5, 2007

Sharing the Fun

Spent yesterday evening with the wife of one of my former personal trainers (who's now just a good friend). She's interested in trying out riding, but had a bike that was given to her. No idea whether it would actually fit her, two flat tires, and clearly not adjusted. So I met her at Banning's Bikes, and Banning took care of her. The bike is a touch too big, but will work for now. The tires were just deflated. He tightened up the shifting and brakes. He took the time to fit her to the bike as best as he could. What an amazing guy. I had to insist that he give us the sales talk about the spectrum of bikes she could buy if she gets into it. Apparantly, there are bikes at the $700, $1100, and $2000 levels, then as much as you want to pay.

The shop has an "open house" every Thursday evening which fosters a real sense of community. Very smart. Reminds me of Third Place philosophy.

So we're riding at 7am on Saturday morning. She's already in good shape from running and martial arts, so my plan is to go from Yorba Linda Regional Park to Kraemer Blvd and back. I really would like to get this embedded map thing working. Dammit.

My left knee is really bothering me, so I bought an electric heat pad. Hope that helps it overnight.

2 comments:

  1. I run into a great concept every once in a while that has great explanatory power. The Third Place philosophy is one of those--thanks for introducing it to me! It explains why I always want to write at the bookstore, the library, the local coffeeshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Third Place was first described to me as it's been adopted by Starbucks. My sister is a barista there and talked a lot about it during her training. Smart.

    ReplyDelete