Saturday, January 13, 2007

Moral Superiority

7am ride time with EB means walking out the door at 6:30am which means waking up at 5:30am for water, food, dressing in cold-weather gear etc. And though I've won numerous awards from Metrosexual Male magazine, this is what I look like at 5:30am.



This poofy-haired look is for Pilgrimgirl. Yes, it still grows. But it clearly isn't pretty.



Hmmm, I didn't manage to catch my full un-shaven glory.

I'm somewhere between 5-10 minutes late meeting EB at Yorba Linda Regional Park. We have to change her front tube (good thing she bought a new one!), and we're off. I hardly even noticed the cold.

That would be a lie. The wind, the wind, my old enemy. I remember this same wind sweeping across icy pool decks. and chilling me from cap to speedo. Curse you wind!!!

Outbound ride was wind-assisted. We turned around at about Ball. Next time, equipment permitting, we'll make it to the Pond Honda Center. After that, maybe a 20 mile ride? Then, we'll do a ride from Orange to Huntington, then start working our way back up the trail to do a YLR to Huntington ride. Well, that's my plan for me. If EB is only riding once a week, that might be a stretch for her.

Return ride has the wind hitting us firmly in the face. Oops, did we ride too far out? Maybe turning around at Lincoln would have been smarter. Even better would have been repeating our Kraemer ride from last week. Maybe I'll skip next week, do a spin class. EB can do this crazy riding thing on her own.

Yeah, things weren't that bad, and we made it back intact. Lots of fun (really).

Got home, warmed up, took a long, hot shower, shaved, and looked like this:


There's a certain amount of moral superiority in knowing you've started the day off with exercise! And I suppose that feeling make me dimple up!

Moral superiority makes me sleepy, and I took an unplanned nap.

P.S. The new bike rode like a dream. I told EB it was like the dump-truck driver getting to test-drive the Ferrari. Weird how much friendlier other cyclists were to me, but I'm not sure if that was my hot bike or EB's pretty face. I'm hoping it's the bike, since I own it and EB's married.

2 comments:

  1. oh, john, this is just priceless! I surely would have teased you about this at Meeting today if I'd read it before I saw you. You are adorable (can I say that?) Ok, you are adorable in a totally like platonic-coming-from-a-Friend way.

    Oh, and FWIW I noticed that you didn't even try to work the topiary phrase into any ministry today (not that that's a bad thing). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know I'm adorable in the platonic coming-from-a-Friend way. If I could be adorable in that smoking red-hot, oozing raw adorableness way, that would be great too! :-)

    I used the phrase in my ministry before you came in: "Caring for one's faith is like caring for a [...] topiary."

    Not really.

    ReplyDelete